History of Comerfords, Funeral Undertakers
Daniel and Anne Comerford were farmers with a young family who started the business in 1862 to supplement their farm income. In 1887 their son Daniel started his apprenticeship serving his time as a carpenter later specialising in Coffin Making and Coach Building. When Daniel married in 1903 he purchased the present premises at Main Street, Stradbally. By 1918 the new sawmills were flourishing and employing five people fulltime. His son Patrick succeeded him and he carried on the running of the business with his wife Julia. Patrick died at a very young age leaving Julia to take over the funeral business, she was assisted by Patrick's brother Larry and their management of the business was to last nearly 50 years.